This week, a documentary turn: This is Gwar chronicles the three decades-long history of the infamous rock band, though countless iterations and many a rubber monster suit.
A Shudder exclusive, the movie is must-see material for fans of Some Kind of Monster, Anvil: The Story of Anvil, and This is Spinal Tap.
Truly inspirational filmmaking.
Subjects discussed in this episode:
- “Gimmick” bands like Gwar, Alice Cooper and KISS, plus local novelty acts like White Cowbell Oklahoma, etc
- The life of a touring band especially in an era of decreased prominence of music culturally and a plethora of entertainment options
- Misconceptions about Gwar’s musicality
- The band’s two seminal members and their influence on its direction
- Tales of wanton self destruction
- Disaffected art school brats and the connective thread through rock music and pop culture, with David Byrne, David Bowie and Seth MacFarlane,
- and the excellent podcast, Your Favorite Band Sucks
Join us, subscribe to the show, and thanks for listening.